Working at Shu Ren
We are currently looking to fill the following positions. Please contact Ms. Jie Moore, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if interested:
I. Assistant Teacher (Part-time) at Pre-Primary School (Starting time January 2016)
Assistant Teachers provide clerical and instructional support in classrooms, allowing classroom teachers to devote more time to lesson planning and teaching. They work under the direct guidance and supervision of classroom teachers and school administrators.
Some assistants provide non-instructional support. Their tasks are largely housekeeping: putting the classroom in order; passing out paper, pencils, and textbooks; and preparing bulletin boards. They may also take attendance, update health records, monitor study halls and playgrounds.
Specific RESPONSIBILITIES shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Assist the implementation of the daily program under the direction of the classroom teacher.
- Assisting the classroom teacher on an instructional level. Reinforce the instruction the classroom teacher provides to students. Work with some students on an individual basis or in small groups, such as working on the alphabet with kindergarten students, reviewing multiplication tables and reading skills with sixth graders or guiding high school students through algebra problems or science projects.
- Assisting in planning and preparing the learning environment, setting up interest centers and preparing needed materials and supplies. Perform clerical tasks, including filing student records, typing, taking attendance, making copies of tests and other instructional paperwork, checking/grading tests and homework, distributing classroom-related materials and setting up bulletin boards. Make sure the classroom materials (including toys, furniture, art supplies, etc) are put away tidily. Check with the classroom teacher before taking out materials, games, art supplies from the storage room.
- Supervising the classroom when the classroom teacher is out of the room. Help the classroom teacher establish order. Whether it is in the classroom, school cafeteria, playground or on school-related field trips, teachers need assistance in monitoring students’ behavior and addressing inappropriate conduct. Follow the classroom rules that are set up by the classroom teacher, so the students can follow the rules consistently. The assistant teacher’s authority regarding discipline is limited—informing the teacher of a behavior problem will help her to determine the best way to handle the situation. The teacher assistants need to inform parents and report to the classroom teachers when something happens under their supervision when they are the only one with the students.
- Helping with general housekeeping and kitchen task. Perform housekeeping tasks in the classroom. Duties include cleaning whiteboards, cleaning erasers, picking up trash, cleaning up art projects and sanitizing countertops, faucets and other items (toys, cups, bowls, utensils, placemats, sleeping mats etc) used by students. Assist the classroom teachers to help students change clothes if accidents happen.
- Supervising outside playground activities. Accompany and supervise students going on bathroom breaks and to the library, P.E. class, recess and other activities. This affords the classroom teacher extra time to grade papers or write lesson plans.
- Helping with the operations of audio/visual aids (projectors, etc.). Operate special equipment used for instruction, including computers, televisions, projectors, film projectors, cassette tape and/or CD recorders and players, VCRs, DVD players and other audiovisual equipment.
- Being responsible for writing the incident/accident report if witness any accident or incident in the classroom or playground, give the classroom teacher for proofreading before send out.
- Being punctual.
- Assisting the classroom teacher in any other appropriate ways.
- Other Responsibilities
- Treating all children with dignity and respect.
- Maintaining confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees outside the school.
- Attending all staff meetings and recommended training programs and conferences.
- Maintaining professional attitudes and loyalty to the school.
- Follow directions given by classroom teacher or immediate supervisor.
The person selected for this position for Pre-primary School shall be at least 18 years of age, in the process of becoming professionally prepared to supervise young children, and must meet the requirements of the licensing agency (a minimum of 6 ECE units, 12 ECE units are preferred). This person must have a warm and friendly personality, be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others, be able to relate well to children and employees, and be willing to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with the school’s educational philosophy. Assistant Teacher at the Pre-primary School shall be able to speak, read, and write (Mandarin) Chinese fluently.
II. Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Full-time)
Under the direction of Head of School and other school administrators, the Receptionist/Administrative Assistant will coordinate, organize and perform the day-to-day office and administrative functions at the school office at our Elementary & Middle School Campus at 2125 Jefferson Avenue in Berkeley. Serve as liaison between students, staff, parents, and the community. Provide administrative support as needed to the Head of School and other school administrators.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Maintain and update student records as assigned; enter, maintain, and update data in a variety of databases, run reports and labels, and produce other communications.
- Compose, type and edit letters, bulletins, newsletters, memos, agendas, and other documents as assigned; make arrangements and prepare materials for a variety of meetings and/or in services; schedule appointments and make referrals as appropriate
- Support students enrollment process in collaboration with Admissions Director; assist parents with proper completion of forms if needed; orient new families and students to the school when needed.
- Provide support to staff including providing various student information, completing forms, distributing mail, and preparing reports.
- Answer the phone, doorbell, take and distribute messages as needed.
- Support all staff, as needed.
- Supervise students sent to the office for disciplinary actions/health reasons.
- Perform health-related duties: administer first aid to students and staff; dispense medication according to prescription instructions; notify parents of ill or injured students; prepare accident reports if needed.
- Order supplies for the school (managing vendor accounts)
- Coordinate and organize school events and open houses
- Coordinate facility repairs and contractors
- Screen phone calls and visitors to the main office
- Manage incoming & outgoing mail, shipments, and email
- Assist with all administrative aspects as directed
Qualifications and skills
- College degree or equivalent
- Fluent in English (Mandarin speaker strongly preferred but not required) with excellent proficiency of written and oral communication skills
- Previous experience working as administrative assistant (min 2 years)
- Good references from a minimum of two other employers
- VERY STRONG organizational skills and attention to detail
- Some bookkeeping experience
- Excellent people skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to manage multiple projects/assignments and prioritize
- Strong follow-through skills
- Operate a computer and related software including, Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, Google email
- Ability to self-teach and independently learn new topics/subjects
- Ability to be flexible and patient
- Ability to work well in a child-centric environment
- Ability to think creatively and out-of- the-box and solve problems independently
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Prior experience in a school or nonprofit a plus
- Communicate effectively, both oral and written
- Maintain confidentiality with discretion
- Character, personality, and proper social capability to relate effectively with racially and ethnically diverse staff, students, and community. Demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of community groups and organizations. Polished interpersonal skills.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Regularly sit, talk, hear and to visually intercept visitors.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 45 lbs.
- Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Turn, bends, reach and occasionally use a ladder.
- Work in a busy often distracting environment.
Hours are 8:00am-5:00pm year-round.
III. Part time (20%) Art Teacher
Qualifications and Experience:
Experience of inquiry based teaching
Appropriate teaching credential and experience for the teaching duties to be undertaken
Native Mandarin speaker is desirable, but not essential
Be authorized to work in the United States
Knowledge and skills:
Excellent communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively in English
Have a high level of understanding of current research as to how children learn
Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively as part of a team
Through differentiated instruction, and by using a variety of styles, be able to inspire mixed culture and ability classes, by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students.
Art teacher for students from 1st Grade to 7th Grade (approximately 1 day)
Attend weekly planning meetings and prepare resources
Keep up-to-date assessment data of students
These proposed duties are an outline and are dependent on the school’s teaching needs.
The candidate for these positions must be authorized to work in the U.S. Final candidate will need to pass Criminal Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance, Physical Exam and TB Test.
Shu Ren International School is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.