Admissions Process For 2017-2018
Pre-Primary School (University campus):
We accept applications for students ages 2* through 5 at our 1333 University Avenue campus in Berkeley.
*Pre-K2 Applicants are not required to participate in an observation; however, parents are required to schedule an interview with administration. Please email the director of admissions, Melissa Morgenstern: email@example.com, for details.
Students aged 2 years are not required to be potty trained. Admission to the Pre-Primary 3 (ages 3-4) and Pre-Primary 4 (ages 4-5) classes require students to be potty-trained.
Primary and Middle School (Jefferson campus):
The Primary (K-5) and Middle school (6-8) is located at our 2125 Jefferson Avenue campus in Berkeley.
Admission to Kindergarten: Prospective students must be 5 years of age as of October 1.
Mandarin language: Students entering Kindergarten and Grade 1 is not required to have any previous Mandarin exposure or proficiency. Students entering Grades 3-5 must have Mandarin language skills (reading/writing/speaking) proficiency similar to the grade they are entering.
Step 1. Submit an Admissions Inquiry Form.
By submitting a Registration of Interest you provide us with basic information about your child(ren) you are inquiring for
Step 2. Join us for a school tour.
You will be able to see the students and teachers engaged in class, tour the facility, and have the opportunity to get general questions answered by the respective division head (Pre-Primary Director/PYP Coordinator/MYP Coordinator) and the Admissions Director.
Pre-Primary School campus
(Ages 2-5 years)
|Primary & Middle School campus
(Kindergarten – Grade 8)
1333 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702
|2125 Jefferson Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94703
Start time: 9:00 AM
Start time: 9:30 AM
|Duration: Approximately 45 minutes||
Duration: Approximately 45 minutes
|Most Tuesdays, Please click on “Schedule a Tour” to see available dates. If these dates do not work for you, please contact the director of admissions.||Most Thursdays, Please click on “Schedule a Tour” to see available dates. If these dates do not work for you, please contact the director of admissions.|
Reservations are required. Please sign up here: School Tours
Step 3. Apply.
NOTE: All applications submitted will be considered on a space-available basis.
Submit the following items to Shu Ren International School.
- 2017-18 Application Form (Online application): A $75 non-refundable, application fee is required.
- Teacher Recommendation Form: Submit the appropriate Teacher Recommendation Form to your child’s present teacher/care provider along with a stamped envelope addressed to Shu Ren International School. Please request them to complete it on behalf of your child. We will need to receive this prior to scheduling the interview and assessment. (Only Applicable for K-8)
Forms may be downloaded here:
The following items must be submitted to Shu Ren by applicants entering Grades 6-8:
- Transcripts (For students entering Grades 6-8): Transcripts from your current school for the previous two years must be submitted. Submit to your school the Release of Student Records form for your child(ren).
- ISEE Test (For students entering Grades 6-8): Applicants must take the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE).
Applications and all related forms received will be reviewed on a rolling basis and considered if space is available.
Families interested in details about financial aid, please our Financial Aid Page.
Step 4. Schedule a Parent Interview and a Student Applicant Visit.
For all applicants (pre-primary through Grade 8) – the school will contact you to schedule a Parent interview after reviewing the submitted application documents listed above.
The school will also contact you to schedule a Student Applicant Visit.
- Prospective pre-primary 2 students are exempt from the observation portion.
- Prospective pre-primary 3 & 4 students participate in an observation while parents are in the interview.
- Prospective Kindergarten – Grade 8 students participate in an all-day school visit. Efforts will be made to schedule the parent interview on the same day. However, please know that parents do not remain on campus.
Step 5. Receive Admissions Decision Notification.
In accordance with East Bay Independent Schools Association (EBISA) agreements, we will notify all applicants who have submitted an application by the January 15 priority deadline their admissions decisions on Friday, March 10, 2017. Admitted families will be sent an enrollment contract to sign and return.
Families who have submitted an application after the priority deadline will be notified after Friday, March 10th.
Step 6. Enroll.
For families who were notified of their admissions status by Friday, March 10th: To enroll, complete and return the offered enrollment contract along with the required deposit by Friday, March 17, 2017.
Families who were provided with an admissions notification after Friday, March 10th: Enrollment contracts will be due one week after the admissions decisions notification. The specific date will be specified in the enrollment contract.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (510) 423-0278.