Two-Way Immersion Model
At Shu Ren International School, we employ a Two-Way Immersion model. Mandarin is not taught as an academic subject; rather, Mandarin immersion is used for instruction of all academic subjects. Our goal is to develop students who are truly bilingual in both English and Chinese with fluency in speaking, reading, writing and mathematics.
Shu Ren’s Two-Way Immersion Model is implemented as follows:
* 100% Mandarin immersion in Pre-K (Ages 2 – 4)
* 80% Mandarin / 20% English in Kindergarten
* 70% Mandarin / 30% English in First Grade
* 60% Mandarin / 40% English in Second Grade
* 50/50 Mandarin/English instruction will be achieved by Grade 3.
We will also introduce Spanish from Grade 3 with the goal of achieving oral competency.
We believe that being bilingual offers many advantages to children in terms of cognition, social/emotional/interpersonal development, and professional future:
- Bilingualism increases mental flexibility for children
- Bilingual children are more willing and able to learn a third language
- Bilingual children score higher on verbal standardized tests conducted in English.
- They also perform better in math and have stronger logic skills
- Bilingual children maintain a strong sense of their own identity while developing sensitivity towards other people and cultures
- Children of first generation Chinese immigrants who grow up in the US have better emotional connections with their parents and grandparents
- Children adopted from China will be able to better understand the culture and the country of their birth
- Bilingual children have a head start in competition for university admissions
- Children who are bilingual in English and Mandarin will have much better job opportunities in today’s global economy
[An outline of the curriculum for the Pre-K Class Unit of Inquiry exploring the question Who Am I?]